Heavy haulage and transport are a major sector in Australia that keeps the country moving. Without it we would be lost. Read for a list of suggested safety tips for anyone in the transport industry.
- Safety First – safety of yourself and those around you is of the utmost importance.
- Defensive driver training – prepare for the worst, blowouts, being cut off or a tree falling. Drivers need to know how to stop fast and safely.
- Know what to do in an emergency – its important to know how to respond in an emergency situation, accidents or incidents can occur at anytime, a company with good safety policies will have a procedure in place for an emergency.
- Regular maintenance and inspections – this should be a no-brainer but it is imperative that all equipment is up to date and in working order.
- Road and situational awareness – being an aware driver, looking ahead at the road, the other vehicles and interpreting situations make driving a lot easier and safer.
- Drug and Alcohol testing – drugged drivers is an issue in the transport industry that needs to be addressed. Regular but random drug & alcohol tests are a must in any transport workplace.
- Avoid Fatigue – fatigue is a leading killer on the roads, proper breaks and log book maintenance are ways to monitor fatigue. Arrive Alive